2019 Africa Policy Journal Deadline: December 15th, 2018
Email submissions to: email@example.com
The Africa Policy Journal (APJ) at the Harvard Kennedy School invites established and emerging writers, including policymakers, businesspeople, lawyers, journalists, artists, researchers, academics, and others to submit their work for APJ’s 14th Edition publication.
The APJ publishes OP-EDs, long form commentary, academic articles, and artwork on both our online platform and our annual print edition. We accept submission for the online blog on a rolling basis. To be considered for print publication, please submit by December 15th, 2018 at the latest. All submissions must be the author’s original work and previously unpublished.
Articles and op-eds should explore how policy relates to the political, economic, or social climate of African countries today. For example, they may assess the impact of an existing or proposed policy, discuss new policy developments, or recommend policy changes. Artwork should reflect a celebration or critique of African cultures and/or the development of African communities.
All submissions must adhere to the Chicago Manual of Style formatting guidelines.
Academic Articles: 1,000 to 5,000 words, and must include an abstract of no more than 250 words
Long-form Commentaries: 750 – 2,000 words, and include references where appropriate;
Artwork/ Film: Submit high-resolution files (300+dpi, JPEG or MP4 format). Each submission must include artwork title, artist name, medium, and year of creation;
Op-Eds/ Commentaries (Blog posts): 300 – 800 words
How to Submit
- Format all articles/op-ed/book/film reviews as Microsoft Word documents
- Format all images as JPEG files
- For all citations use Endnotes with a web link for fact-checking
- All submissions must include a cover letter with: (1) author’s name; (2) mailing address; (3) e-mail address; (4) phone number; (5) a biography of no more than 300 words; (6) a headshot.
For the 2019 Africa Policy Journal Please email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15th, 2018. Submissions for our website are considered on a rolling basis. All submissions received by December 15th, 2018 will be considered for print publication.
APJ’s Editorial Board will notify all applicants by January 29, 2019. Selected authors may be asked to perform additional fact-checking or editing before publication; compliance with these procedures is required for publication.
The Africa Policy Journal strives to maintain the quality and integrity of our publication through a submission review process that is fair and transparent. To this end, all works will be anonymously reviewed and scored along a common rubric by multiple staff members.
Submissions will be reviewed against the following criteria:
- Relevant: addressing issues of governance, economics, politics and society on the African continent
- Timely: covering opportunities and challenges facing African nations/ peoples today
- Thought-provoking: taking part in public discourse on a topic area
- Accessible: readable and pertinent to the interest of a broad audience
- Rigorous: informed and analytically-sound
- Fresh: conducting novel analysis, taking unique perspectives, or bringing forth new or underemphasized information into the public discourse
The Africa Policy Journal is the only student-run scholarly journal in the United States dedicated to African policy. Our mission is to promote a rigorous, informed and influential policy dialogue that is relevant to current and future issues of governance, economics, politics and society on the African continent. We publish thought-provoking content that provides fresh insights into the most significant opportunities and challenges facing African nations.
Contact us via e-mail at email@example.com.